Friday, June 18, 2010

Skillet Sloppy Beef Sandwiches

Yum! What a great substitute for a sloppy joe. I particularlly loved the massive amounts of veggies that were snuck in here. However, they were only sneaky to me...DF had no problem finding the stewed tomatoes. This is a great dish if you need to throw out something in a hurry!

Skillet Sloppy Beef Sandwiches

Cooking Spray
1 pound Lean Ground Beef (I used 96/4)
1 cup refridgerated prechopped tricolor bell pepper (bell peppers really aren't my thing...these were omitted from my cooking)
1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1 (14.5 oz) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained (I thought these existed in my pantry, but it was actually the Italian Stewed...still good flavor but I'm sure the Mexican is better!)
1/4 cup + 2 T ketchup
4 Whole-Wheat Hamburger buns (I always lightly toast my buns in the toaster oven)


1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef and bell pepper; saute 4 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well; return meat mixture to pan. Add corn, tomatoes, and ketchup; cook 9 minutes or to desired consistency. Serve on buns.

**Always be cautious when using super lean meats such as 96/4 ground beef and 99% lean turkey. These can dry out super quickly so when cooking with them make sure you don't overcook them or else you will have something left to be desired with you meal. That gives healthy food a bad name**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...