Monday, June 28, 2010

Caesar Salad

Jason and I are HUGE fans of Caesar Salad. I've always wanted to take my chances at making this dressing and I finally did and it was fabulous! Of course I couldn't just make an unhealthy version...I had to make it so that I can find myself happily in my wedding dress in a few months...enjoy!


Caesar Dressing - Healthy Style!

5 T extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups (1-in) cubed french bread (I used whole wheat bread that I cubed)
1 (2-oz) can anchovy fillets, drained
2 T grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (Pay attention...unlike me who went to Harris Teeter and paid $11 dollars for a wedge of this! I'm sure regular parmesean cheese would be fine!)
2 T red wine vinegar
2 large pasteurized egg yolks
1 garlic clove (I used more!)
6 torn romaine hearts
1/4 t kosher salt (I used Sea Salt)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine 1 T oil and bread in large bowl, tossing to coat. Arrange bread in a sing layer on a baking sheet; bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden (I added some garlic salt for a little extra umph). Cool.
3. Pat anchovy fillets dry with a paper towel. Combine fillets, cheese, and next 3 ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth. With blender on, add remaining 1/4 cup oil, 1 T at a time; process until smooth. Combine croutons and lettuce in a large bowl; drizzle lettuce and croutons evenly with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle salad mixture evenly with salt. Toss to combine and serve immediately.

**Not pictured with croutons**

1 comment:

  1. I used to LOVE ceasar salads....until I was reading the ingredients for the dressing...anchovies? GAG! I have forever since been ceasar dressing free. (Except at Snappy's which has a yummy oil-based dressing.)

    Oh how I'd love to eat a ceasar salad again....but my mind over matter situation will not allow me to do so without throwing up in the back of my mouth.

    Curses - why did I ever look at the ingredients?!?!?!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...