Friday, June 11, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Skewers and Hustle 'n Brussels Foil-pack Attack

Tonight was an absolute kitchen nightmare...but somehow I managed to get a delicious dish on the table! We began the evening working on the marinade for the skewers when we realized we were out of ketchup. I loathe running out of basic staples in my kitchen. In fact, it infuriates me! Luckily I used my brain and remembered we had some ketchup packets from a fast food trip in one of the kitchen drawers. Score! Then I went to create my lovely side dish and realized I didn't have any more onions, rosemary or kosher salt. I was able to wing the recipe and it was a new favorite I believe (I'll go into detail in the recipe). Then thirdly...the gas grill ran out of gas about half way through grilling the chicken skewers. The recipe called to broil them in the oven so they ended up having to finish out there.

Now for the good stuff!

Buffalo Chicken Skewers

1 lb Chicken Breast Tenders
1/4 cup hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Style)
3 T light stick butter, melted
1 T ketchup (Or in case you wanted to know...two fast food packets of ketchup are equal to 1 tablespoon!)
1/4 t salt
Cooking Spray


1. Preheat Broiler (I intended to fully grill mine using a grill pan...instead I had half grilled half broiled)
2. Place each chicken tender between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Cut each tender in half crosswise.
3. Combine hot sauce, butter, and ketchup in a medium bowl; reserve 3 T mixture and set aside. Add chicken to bowl and toss well. Thread 1 piece of chicken onto each of 18 inch skewers (I only had long skewer sticks, so I did two tenders to each stick)
4. Cover a large backing sheet with foil, and coat with cooking spray. Place skewers on a prepared pan, and broil 3 minutes on each side or until done. Brush with reserved 3 T of hot sauce mixture.


Hustle 'n Brussels Foil-Pack Attack - Hungry Girl 1-2-3 Cookbook

10 Brussels Sprouts (or 14 if small), halved
4 baby red potatoes (I used 3...for two servings...this recipe is huge!)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I sprinkled 1 T of Onion Powder since I didn't have Onions tonight)
1 t Olive Oil
1 t dried rosemary (Once again...I didn't have this ingredient...I used 1/2 t each of Tarragon Leaves and Thyme...yum!)
1/2 t chopped garlic (I never measure my garlic...we love garlic...I'm sure we had closer to 3x that)
1/2 t coarse salt (Another ingredient my kitchen was lacking...I used sea salt instead...still a great flavor!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside

Lay a large piece of heavy-duty foil on a baking sheet. Place veggie-potato mixture int he center of the foil and spread it out a bit

Place another large piece of foil over the veggie-potato mixture. Fold together and seal all four edges of the two foil pieces, forming a well-sealed packet.

Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until veggies are tender.

Allow packet to cool for a few minutes, and then cut to release steam before opening entirely.

Absolutely amazing! Jason loved it and the serving sizes were HUGE! For those who don't believe they will like Brussels Sprouts...I think you will be pleasantly surprised with this recipe. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. this looks pretty delish minus the brussels. :) haha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...