So, I love some Mac-n-Cheese and I've been dying to do a "healthier" version of it. I found these recipe and it is delicious! The flavors are great...who knows that its better for you than traditional macaroni and cheese? Love it!
Southern Macaroni and Cheese
Adapted from Casserole Recipes, pil publications
1.5 Cups uncooked whole wheat or multigrain elbow macaroni
2 t all-purpose flour
1 T dry mustard
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t salt
1 cup fat-free skim milk, divided
1/2 cup plus 1 T shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (I used Cabots 75% fat free sharp cheddar inside and used 1 T of Fat Free Shredded Cheddar for the topping)
1 egg white
1/8 t paprika
1 T panko (Japanese Breadcrumbs)
1. Preheat oven to 325. Spray 1 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook Macaroni according to package directions. Drain macaroni in colander under cold water to cool slightly; shake off excess liquid. Set aside in bowl.
3. Mix together flour, mustard, pepper and salt in a small saucepan. Add 1/2 cup milk and whisk. Place over medium heat, stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat, let cool 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and mix until melted.
4. Add egg white to slightly cooled macaroni and mix. Add cheese sauce to macaroni mixture and mix. Spoon macaroni mixture into prepared baking dish.
5. Mix together 1 T cheese, paprika and panko. Sprinkle mixture on top of macaroni. Bake until bubbly and lightly browned for 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
17 hours ago