Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Fried Squash

If I had to choose one food to be the only food I could eat for the rest of my life...fried squash is having a head to head battle with french fries. I hadn't made these yet this year and I recieved some yellow squash in my produce basket and decided it was time to break it out! This was one of the first things my mom truly taught me how to make.


Fried Squash

Ingredients

Yellow Squash, Sliced into 1/4-in slices
Yellow Cornmeal
Oil (I prefer to use Crisco, but used regular vegetable oil this time around)


Directions

1. After slicing squash, batter up those babies with cornmeal. Make sure to give them a good shake to remove excess meal. Too much meal will cause your skillet to fill with meal pieces and it makes it more difficult to cook

2. Fill the bottom of the skillet with oil. This is a "touch" thing...you want just enough oil that you are not sauteing the squash but too much will cause your squash to oversaturate. Typically I like to have enough to where the squash is barely floating in the oil. You can always add more oil to your skillet.

3. Turn to medium heat and allow oil to become hot before putting in the squash. If you want to make sure your oil is ready for frying, take a teaspoon of water and drop it in. If it sizzles you are good to go!

4. Fry it up! Depending on how you like your squash fried, I tend to like mine a little more on the crispy side. Once you get your desired crisp amount, flip over and allow the opposite side to fry.

5. Enjoy! =) Try not to eat tooooo many while cooking...I tend to have a little problem with that

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...