I've declared...a week of casserole based dishes! I found some nifty dishes to try and we'll just make a short marathon out of it. My apologies for the non-seafood crowd. This was delicious...it makes a HUGE casserole too. I always can handle some good leftovers! The Spicy Tomato Sauce was amazing and can definitely be utilized for any pasta dish as the sauce. Enjoy!
Crab and Corn Enchilada Casserole
Adapted from Casserole Recipes, pil publications
Spicy Tomato Sauce (Recipe Below)
10 to 12 ounces fresh crabmeat or flaked or chopped imitation (Yep...I was a cheapo...I chopped imitation)
1 package (10-oz) frozen corn, thawed and drained
1.5 cups shredded reduced fat Monterrey Jack Cheese (I used my trusty FF Shredded Cheddar)
1 can diced mild green chiles
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare Spicy Tomato Sauce.
2. Combine 2 cups Spicy Tomato Sauce, crabmeat, corn, 1 cup cheese and chiles into medium bowl. Cut each tortilla into 4 wedges. Place one third of tortilla wedges in shallow 3-4 quart casserole, overlapping to make solid layer. Spread half of crab mixture on top. Repeat with another layer of tortilla wedges, remaining crab mixture and remaining tortillas. Spread remaining 1 cup Spicy Tomato Sauce over top; cover
3. Bake 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; bake uncovered 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Squeeze lime over individual servings.
Spicy Tomato Sauce
2 cans (15-oz each) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained or 6 medium tomatoes
2 t olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic
2 T chili powder
2 t ground cumin
2 t dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1/4 t ground cloves (Didn't have this)
1. Place tomatoes with juice in food processor or blender; process until finely chopped. Set aside.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and cloves. Cook and stir 1 minutes. Add tomatoes; reduce heat to medium-low. simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced to around 3-3.25 cups.
Mediterranean Hummus Stuffed Mushrooms
14 hours ago