Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Breakfast Casserole

Most mornings, there is really no time to contribute to the kitchen. I meander one-eyed to the kitchen to try to find something to hold me over to lunch time. However...I have found a cure! Breakfast Casseroles are virtually one of the easiest make ahead breakfasts that one can make. The best part...its totally versatile! Aside from a few kitchen staples, you can use your own ingredients to create the perfectly customized breakfast casserole of your choice. I used bacon and spinach in mine...but the possibilities are endless...sausage, mushrooms, extra cheese, ham, broccoli...you name it! There is so much protein in this recipe that often times I feel satisfied until my internal lunch time alarm goes off at 11:30am. Enjoy!

Breakfast Casserole ala Sassy Pants

You will need:
- 8x8 Baking Dish (If you do not own one, simply alter the sizes of the ingredients to fit with your baking dish)
- Non Stick Spray
- 1.5 Cups of Egg Substitute
- 1 Cup of Skim Milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
- 1/2 Cup of FF Cheddar Cheese
- 6 Slices of Light Whole Wheat Bread, Crusts removed, tear into small 1/2 inch pieces
- 7 Slices of Center Cut Bacon, Cook and chop into small pieces
- 1 10oz box of Frozen Spinach, Cook according to box directions (I usually utilize the microwave here...quickest way) and drain all of the liquid you possibly can out of the spinach

Get cookin!

- Preheat oven to 350ยบ
- Spray baking dish with Non Stick Spray
- Combine all ingredients except for your bread pieces and FF Cheddar into a mixing bowl and stir well
- Place bread pieces into your baking dish
- Pour mixing bowl contents into baking dish and stir around with bread pieces to mix well
- Cook for around 35 minutes or until a knife/toothpick comes clean...you will notice the egg start to set
- Sprinkle Fat Free Cheddar Cheese on top and place back in oven for about 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts

**Note: Fat Free Cheddar does not melt very well...so don't be surprised if the texture is more like harder cheese topping as opposed to gooey...but the taste is still amazing

**HOT Tip: I like to put a little Texas Pete on top of my piece when I eat my breakfast casserole...I've determined that hot sauce truly can go on anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...